Monday 23 December 2013

Interview: Zoe Hoetzel


Occupation: filmmaker-photographer/singer-songwriter/half-assed student
Age: 19
Location: New York & L.A.

You released your first single "Teen Dream" last month. Tell us about the process of "Teen Dream".
Over the summer I bought a shirt that said "Teen Dream" on it (was totally not my style but I liked the phrase) and that's what initially inspired the chorus of the song. I wrote all of the verses in less than an hour. That's generally how it happens for me - if I'm really feeling a song I'm writing it'll happen super fast. A lot of people have asked me who the song is about but it's not really about any one person in particular... it's more collectively about every girl I've ever been into. The song in general is about fierce naive love young people feel. Recording was amazing - my producer Ken Stacey is wildly inventive especially when it comes to vocal arrangements. He came up with the most gorgeous background vocals for me to sing. The hardest part I think was figuring out my sound - I wanted it to be pop but not too bubblegum. I wanted it to be spacey/dreamy/vibey but with an edge. Pretty with dark undertones.

Will you be releasing an EP/album or any more songs soon?
I'm recording some new work over the next month in L.A.  but I am not signed to a record label yet - I am definitely hoping to release an EP in the not too far future!

You've got a film GIRL//FRIEND in post production... can you spare any deets?
GIRL//FRIEND was my first real short film (with an actual crew and funding). It was so fun to shoot. We shot over three days on location so it was like summer camp. Lots of red bulls and pizza and five hour energy. My actress Heather Kemesky, Tatiana Khawaja, and Sea Shimo'oka are all so striking/captivating on camera in completely different ways. That's my big thing - I am inspired by girls that are alien gorgeous. Girls that are not conventionally beautiful but when in front of a camera literally take your breath away. Post-production takes a lot longer than I thought but GIRL//FRIEND is in its last phases (colour correction, sound mixing). It'll be ready by beginning of 2014!


Have you considered acting? 
Yes, but I honestly don't think I could do it. Just being in front of the camera for the "Teen Dream" music video was difficult because I am very controlling - I'm lucky I had an amazing crew I really trusted. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there the way actors do every day! You have all these people watching you and counting on you to get it right... it also takes an emotional toll. I have so much respect for actors.

Describe the character you would play if you could play a character in your own film?
An aloof catholic schoolgirl who is a highly trained assassin // who also uses her skills to torture misogynist politicians.

What do you love about living in NYC?
L.A. feels like a permanent vacation. Everyone is always relaxing and doing yoga and drinking green juice, whereas NYC everybody has a mission and is always on the move. It's the best place for a young artist to be living. Everyone around me has their thing and is working at it 100%. It's the most inspiring environment.

It's New Years Eve, where can you be found?
With my mommy and daddy (I am a 10 year old trapped in a 10 year old's body)


Find Zoe here:

No comments:

Post a Comment