Friday 22 November 2013

Interview: Tommy Kruise

I got to interview Tommy Kruise from Montreal over Skype a while back. We discussed some of his upcoming projects.




First of all I have to ask, is Tommy Kruise your real name?
No, it was something my friends and I started called the Tom Cruise Skate Clan. You can look it up on vimeo but it’s really well hidden. It was just some stupid shit we started together which was all filmed on iPhone about cruising the streets. When I moved to Montreal I had a Facebook with my real name with all my friends from Quebec City and I was like “I don’t want to know what they’re doing” so I made a new one. I chose that name just because of the skate clique and when thinking about releasing music I was like “okay I need to find a name” and people just told me to use the one I used for Facebook.

When did you start producing music?
About five years ago. I wasn't serious about it. I was just skating back then. Some friends showed up at my place two years ago and said I should release some stuff and so I did.

What have you been up to this year?
I'm doing a full mix tape with rappers and by rappers I don't mean Canadian rappers. I mean rappers from the states and international rappers. That was a big dream of mine to have mix tape with rappers. That's really what I've been working towards, I didn't want to drop another instrumental track online. I wanted to do something different. I can't wait for this to shape up and come out. Working with rappers is kind of hard but I've worked with a few rappers already and the process has been great with the ones who are stoked for it. I'm kind of new to this game, but I'm very excited. I also have some more dancey stuff, I've been producing some dance music shit. Also some footwork and juketype stuff which is coming out after the mix tape that's coming out before the end of the year. 

What do you have planned for next year?
I want to start touring. I want to shoot videos for my mix tape. After that I think I want to start producing for other people's projects. I also want to produce some stuff with just one rapper or do a duo.



Besides making music what do you like to do?
I just love chilling with the homies and experiencing the city. I don't like to just stay in the same hood on the same couch smoking the same spliff with the same people. I like to try new things and see what other people are into. We go from hoods to hoods especially hoods we never usually go to just to smoke a spliff there and go to a local restaurant. It's called like all-city chilling, that's what we do. I always try to make the best out of my day. If there's a good show or event or gathering of people I like to go there. I don't like to go out just to go out you know? Like "yeahhh I'm going to get drunk" well why, what are you celebrating? Otherwise... I stay in my dungeon - my room. I like to skate too. If I didn't skate my music would probably be different, I wouldn't listen to the stuff I listen to.

How was your first show and how did it make you feel?
I think it was February 2012 and it was a Mook-Life show we organized. It was my first time playing and I got really drunk and high because I was stressed. I had problems with my whole set up, it wasn't really perfected. I had problems with it the day before and the same day but I took care of it. When I got there I looked at the performers and was like "I'm not gonna get drunk or high... I'm going to do this properly". As soon as I got there I started smoking like crazy and getting over the fact that I was going to play. It was sick, it was perfect. It was a small bar but it was extra pack. There were people doing a Jesus dance and girls shaking their asses on stage. Since then I've never been stressed or anxious before any of my shows. 

It's great seeing artists or DJ's get really into their performance.
Exactly, that's the whole meaning. If you're not passing any vibes I don't think the crowd will move. I've been to good parties but sometimes people just post up and stand there with their arms crossed or on their phones.

What has been your best and worst experience in the music industry?
 Best and worst? I'd say people on drugs. My best experience though was when I opened for some people I looked up to. Like I opened for Juicy J and when I saw him dance to some of my remixes that was a big moment for me. I played with Ryan Hemsworth in Texas at this hair salon that they turned into a venue and we got free beers, it was the best. Also all the people that are really vibing and the people on drugs who vibe even harder. The worst though was being stuck in the airport on my way back from Texas in the winter because there was a snow storm in Montreal. I had to wait hours at the Atlanta airport. It sucks but it's part of the game. 


Who are your inspirations?
That's always a tough one. It depends... Three 6 Mafia, J Dilla, Madlib, I could go for some jazz shit like Miles Davis. Everyone inspires me though. Everyone gets inspired by everyone in some way. 

Like all your surroundings.
Yeah I think people that nobody know inspired me more at some point than people that are known.

What would you call your sound?
Country music from space... I don't know, I'd say instrumental. I don't want to use the word trap. I don't want to say that I'm just a dude making rap or hip hop stuff. I've been experimenting a bunch of styles. I love trying other things. I guess I would call it wavy. If you don't feel the waves you won't like it, you'll drown.

I heard you produced something for Metro Zu?
Yes, the thirst is very real in this song. There’s Ruben Slikk and Denzel Curry rapping, and Lofty sings. I really love when Lofty sings, he came out perfect on the track. I'm really stoked for people to hear it. I'll wait for the right moment to promote the track online. 

If you could collab with anyone who would you collab with?
With anyone right now... I'd do something with Future or for sure Gucci or Chief Keef. I'd love to do a song with Lil Keke but it would be something that would have had to been done years ago. 

Find Tommy Kruise here:

No comments:

Post a Comment