Sunday 18 August 2013

Interview: Jack Irvin




Jack Irvin is a 22 year old Australian artist who runs an art gallery called Space44.



First of all thank you for taking the time to do this interview. Please tell us about what you've been up to this year, any (upcoming) projects?
 My pleasure :) This year I've done a bunch of art for lots of different people and for different things which is fun. I recently made some art tees for Volcom clothing and a tee for 100 percent zero which is gonna come out soon they're a really cool label too, you should check them out. The main thing I've been working on though is a little festival that me and my friend Aaron are doing in Sydney, Cronulla it's called "Sounds Of The Suburbs" it's going to be pretty mental, lots of crowd surfing haha. We have a ton of artists and we are gonna deck the whole festival out with heaps of weird art and make it really colourful and trip some ppl out hopefully...


How did you get into making art? Have you always wanted to be an artist?
 I've always done it since I can remember, and I think I've wanted to be an artist ever since I saw the movie Basquiat. Before that I wanted to be a pro surfer haha which is weird to think that's what I wanted to be looking back.

Doing what you do, have there ever been times when you wanted to give up or people just didn't support the direction you were heading? How did you handle this?
I haven't wanted to give up art yet, I don't know if I ever will it's like a habit I just always draw all the time. People that are close to me support my choice to follow my dreams whatever they may be which is really awesome.



Do you have any advice for aspiring artists?
If I was to give advice to anyone it would probably just be follow whatever it is you want to do, don't let people tell you what to do.

What do you hope to achieve before 2013 ends and what are your goals for next year?
To be honest I just want to make sure I can buy everyone christmas presents before the end of the year haha I always leave it too late.


What's your favourite medium and why?
Right now its spray paint and textas, I love how quick it is to get bright colours.

Do you have any other hobbies?
I like making music with my girlfriend. We started a band called Wasteland also eating pizza or any food is an awesome hobby.

Can you tell us about your inspirations growing up? What about your inspiration these days?
Growing up my inspirations were definitely my dad and he still is today. I love his art, but lately I'm kinda inspired by punk music and 80s teen movies like Thrashin' and Class of Nuke Em High because they're kinda lame but funny but that's the best right?

Find Jack here:

No comments:

Post a Comment